Sunday, December 14, 2008

Annaleigh Marie Hill

We are at home with our lovely daughter, Annie. After spending just over 24 hrs. in the NICU she has made a full recovery and we were able to take her home as soon as I was discharged. She is such a little love, we are smitten. It's crazy how much she sleeps, but I guess I'm just making up for how little Judah slept at this age. Judah is doing amazingly well with her. He is so excited to have her around and so far we haven't had any huge meltdowns. He even decided to sleep in his big boy bed last night for the first time and slept through the night, wow!

Here is a play-by-play of Annie's birth for any of you who love the nitty gritty...

Well, we made it. Our daughter Annaleigh (Annie) was born on Thursday, December 11, 2008. She was 9lbs. 2oz. and 20.5 inches long. BIG girl! I had a successful VBAC and feel so amazing about it. After our last birth class on Monday my labor started to pick up and I was unable to sleep at all. Contractions continued through Tues. but they remained at about 5 minutes apart and the intensity didn't pick up until later in the evening. I had a regular appointment with Dr. Yin on Tues. morning and she said I was 1.5 cm, 90% effaced. She stripped my membranes and was hopeful that I would deliver the next day.
I think that I was a little unique in that I didn't feel comfortable at home for very long, maybe it was because I was a little scared being a VBAC. I decided to go to the hospital around 1:30am . When we got to the hospital, the nurse checked me and said I was 2cm, 90%. It was such a blessing, my admitting nurse was a new friend of mine from church and I really needed that kind of care, she even stopped and prayed for me as it was determined that I wasn't in labor yet... after 2 nights of no sleep... yikes. So Haupt gave me an Ambien and let me stay so that Dr. Yin could take over in the morning. I got about 3 hrs. of sleep and when Yin got there I had dilated another cm. We had previously talked about an epidural due to the exhaustion factor. So she told me I could have that at any time, but I really wanted to wait as long as possible.
I labored 8 more hrs. and was checked by a nurse and was told I was 2cm again. You can Imagine I broke down at that point. Dr. Yin's had overestimated when she checked me the last time. She was so optimistic the whole time and when she came back in about an hour she checked me and broke my water, which had light meconium. After that labor was really difficult, the contractions picked up immediately in length and intensity. I was having back labor as well. I lasted about 2 hrs. before I decided to get an epidural. I'm sure you remember my anxiety about having another spinal so the nurse gave me a low dose of Staidol before the epidural. Dr. Hack was amazing, I told him I was really afraid of the procedure and he did a great job calming my nerves. After that I was able to rest for a few hours while they started me on Pitocin. I got the epidural at 6:00 and by 11:15 I was ready to push. I was amazed! I didn't feel a thing until I was fully dilated.
Pushing was crazy, her head was already super low, so she moved down to near crowning fairly quickly. But there she remained for almost an hour, which is when I really started to feel things. It hurt bad, but it was great to know where to push. I almost gave up and Dr. Yin was very close to giving me an epesiotomy and finally Annie's head popped out. I tore pretty bad, so that has been fun.
Annie came out with the cord wrapped around her neck and had some complications due to that. They told us that it caused
hypovolemia and acid build up in her blood. So round 2 in the NICU for us. She also got a little meconium down past her vocal cords so they really wanted to monitor her and keep her on oxygen. She recovered so quickly it was really miraculous to us. It was emotionally taxing to again not have that initial bonding time with her, but knowing the NICU drill made it less stressful. She was able to room in with me on Friday and we brought her home on Saturday.
It was an amazing experience in spite of having a really long labor and a little scare when she came out. I was shocked that I never thought about having a c-section or wanting one at all. Having Dr. Yin there the whole time made me feel so safe and I was able to trust her completely even when her plan was not what I had expected. I loved delivering my girl! I was so worth it.

Thanks to all who prayed for us. We felt so blessed by all the calls and emails. Knowing that the Lord hears our prayers is a comfort in times of joy and times of fear. We are so blessed by a community who surrounds us with prayer and encouragement in the Lord. We hope to see many of you in the next weeks to come.



17 comments:

Linda Z said...

Beautiful!!! What a blessing she is!! I'm so glad that you were able to do VBAC and that Penny was there!! So neat! :) Can't wait to meet little Annie.

The Schmidts said...

I love the nitty gritty! Congratulations--a beautiful baby girl and a successful VBAC! Love Rhiannon

Two Cent Sparrow said...

Congratulations! She is so beautiful!

Hamon family said...

thanks for sharing the whole story! I love that. She is beautiful.

nicole aka gidget said...

congratulations, you guys, and praise God for the VBAC and the quick recovery little Annie had. :)

Jen said...

wow, katie, you're amazing! Way to get through all that :). I am so excited to meet Annie!
God bless the new family.

Jen

Carrie Squires said...

Congratulations! Even though I had to google multiple things you referred to (e.g.VBAC, stripping membranes? I'm a non-mom!) it was cool to read about the whole process. Many blessings on Annie- have fun getting to know her!

Andy Dollahite said...

Congrats! Praise the Lord for His many mercies to you and the family. Steph and I are so happy for you. Hopefully we'll be able to visit San Luis and see Annie soon. Many blessings and enjoy any sleep you can find.

Soderin Family said...

Annie is such a sweet-heart and so beautiful. We are so happy for guys and proud of both of you for keeping your eyes fixed on Jesus throughout the whole labor and NICU experience.

Steph D said...

Blessings, blessings, blessings!!!! Praise the Lord for his faithfulness! Thanks for sharing your story - I can't wait to introduce Annaleigh to Annaliese sometime when we come to SLO!

Anya said...

Congratulations! Praise the Lord those complications left both of you unharmed... The day you gave birth we found out we're having another baby as well :)

Katie said...

Congrats Katie. This is the other Katie of Katie and Joey. Hey, this is a weird question - but I remember when I found your blog a long time ago - it happened to be your son's first birthday and you did a video for him - which I loved. Well, my son's first birthday is on Saturday and I'm making him a video and was wondering about the first song. Could you tell me where you found it? It would fit perfect with the slideshow I'm doing. That would be great but I know you just had a baby so you have your hands full to say the least. Ok, thanks. and congrats again on your new arrival.

Natalie Lundstrom said...

Annie is so precious! Katie, you are a rock start - way to go VBAC! love you all and can't wait to see you whenever that is.

Katie said...

Thank you so much for the music info. I really love that song. Merry Christmas to your new family of FOUR!

Sarah said...

We can't wait to meet Annie! Merry Christmas and congratulations!

Sarah said...

Wow! An amazing story. I loved Dr. Yin when I lived in SLO, she's really great.

I'm so happy that Annie is healthy and that you both are safe and happy. VBAC's are so incredible. Thanks for the nitty-gritty (:

Best wishes to you this year!

Baby.Got.Craft said...

Congrats Katie! She is beautiful!! Much love from San Diego.