Saturday, March 7, 2009

HELP!

The day has finally come. We've been waiting, but it still snuck up on us like a lion stalking it's prey... Judah climbed out of the crib. What the heck! I woke up yesterday morning in the guest room where I had fallen asleep nursing Annie and what did I see... Judah, peaking over the crib trying to wake up sister. This was not a strange ocurrance, but the next question was "where is your father?" I went to the living room expecting to see Joey snoozing on the couch with Sesame Street in the background but he was nowhere to be found. He was in bed. I was asking him why the heck he got Judah up and went back to sleep, but he was even more confused. The boy had escaped. So all day I was dreading bed time and sure enough just after Joey put him down, out he walks with a huge grin on his face. We decided to try and get him to sleep in the toddler bed, but we keep getting the same result, a boy playing games with mama trying to see a few more moments of daytime. What in the world do we do? I had a complete meltdown last night because the boy cannot be contained. He finally fell asleep with me sitting in his doorway for 30 minutes, only to wake up at midnight forcing daddy to sleep on the floor in his room. I am beside myself. He has been an incredible sleeper and now I don't have a clue how to help him transition. We tried disciplining him, bribing him, and returning him to bed continuously, none of which worked. Please, if any of you have experience with this, I need help! Would it be horrible to lock him in his room? Yikes!

9 comments:

Sarah said...

i really don't have much to offer, we just had to spank aidah everytime she got out of bed for awhile, not fun at all but nothing else was working. good luck!

The Schmidts said...

Get a child proof door handle cover (from Target or Babies R Us or Walmart) and put it on the INSIDE of his door so he can't escape. Then just ignore him. He may play, talk, sing, cry, whatever, but he will eventually fall asleep--even if it means on the floor. That is what we've done with Nayeli and it works. Just make sure things are safe in the room (nothing he can choke on or climb on) and just let him be. Hope that helps! -Rhiannon

Travis Avila said...

horse tranquilzer

Joey, Katie, Judah and Annie said...

Travis,
I'm tempted! Don't encourage me.

Linda Z said...

We just did the same bedtime routine, and then every time either of the boys would get up, we'd just take them back in without saying a word or saying "bedtime." Eventually they got sick of it and stayed put. :)

Hamon family said...

no good advice but I will be seeking your advice as soon as Jack does that! our wild boys!

Marlene said...

This is so funny (I know not for you, sorry!). My dad was actually telling Jose at dinner tonight about the first time I climbed out of my crib! I think my parent's solution was to buy me a queen size waterbed. No joke, I loved that thing. I hope tonight goes better!

Steph D said...

Sorry, I've got nothing for you but I'll have to keep all the good advice in mind for later (minus the horse tranquilizer)!

Baby.Got.Craft said...

NEW, big boy bedding...or at least a new pillow. Something special to signify big boy bed time. "Big boys stay in bed. Daddy stays in bed when it's night-nght time"...etc. Good luck!
~Tessa